Why I like circular knitting

So, I'm swatching a project. A project that's 2/3 cabling and 1/3 lace. A project where there's at least one stitch pattern that's heavily used and may not even be possible.

And as is my wont, perhaps foolishly, I'm swatching it flat. 20 rows, 51 stitches. Which is fine for the lace pattern: It was meant to be flat and I can live with that. The cable pattern is much worse.

It actually looks reasonable enough charted in the round. I have a very rough sketch, written before I realised a few things. Flat, though, that's a different story.

I'm deliberately only knitting a fraction of the pattern as a swatch, and that still took me an hour and a half to draw. It's going to be fun when I draw the entire pattern, seeing as that chart is 1/125th of the pattern.

At least the pattern will be flat.


Well, after realising that I was going to be working the chart forever and ever, I re-charted the lace pattern to run 30 rows, the minimum possible to see the pattern working.

The cable pattern is only 20, but if I'm feeling ambitions, I'll extend it, just to see the whole sweep of the pattern. Unfortunately, this actually makes the swatch larger. Fortunately, only by 100 stitches.

0 comments: