Broad Street Mittens (errata)

I'm currently knitting Janis Cortese's lovely Broad Street mittens, from the fall 2002 issue of Knitty. In looking over the pattern, I decided to make a few adjustments in the interest of warmth.

This is not a pattern so much as it is a list of modifications to the Broad Street pattern.

Firstly, the pattern is meant to be knit with small needles and fingering-weight wool. I decided that I wanted worsted wool, partly for warmth and partly because, when contemplating the pattern, I bought two balls of worsted in preparation.

In what could be considered a moderately silly gauge swatch, I knit the palm, following the pattern. Then, comparing the half-glove hat I had to the size of my hand, I worked out that it was about 50% too big.

I cast on again, starting from the wrist as before. This time, knowing the difference in size, I used 40 stitches of worsted weight on 3.75 mm needles, for a tight, dense fabric. The reason for starting at the wrist rather than the cuff is that I'm planning to knit elbow-length sleeves onto the gloves, so will pick up around the wrist and knit until I'm satisfied.

I knit two rows before getting to my second change: rather than knitting the palm in stockingette, I want it to be a thicker, denser fabric. A quick browse of Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns gave me k1s1 rib, or heel stitch.

Thus the pattern for the palm became:

  1. knit the whole round
  2. knit the whole round
  3. k2, *k1, slip one stitch purlwise with the yarn in back, repeat from * until the second-last stitch on the second needle. p1, knit the last stith front and back. Knit the rest of the round.
  4. knit the whole round
  5. k2, *k1, sl1 wyib, repeat from * until reaching the purled stitch. p1, kfb. Knit the rest of the round.
  6. knit the whole round.

I repeated steps 5 and 6 until I'd added eight stitches, set those stitches aside and cast on nine stitches on the next row.

For the thumb gusset decrease, I used the SSK/k2tog decrease until I again had ten stitches on the second needle.

To finish the palm, I knit 12 rows with heel stitch on the palm, stockingette on the back. The glove is longer lengthwise because the heel stitch used makes a far denser fabric vertically. Also, my hands are very long. Following the pattern, 8 rows would be more accurate.

Pinky finger was 4 from the palm, 5 from the back, plus one cast-on stitch.

Extending the palm, I picked up 3 stitches from the pinky, rather than 2, to ensure no holes. Knit 8 rounds, heel stitch on the front, stst on the back.

The other fingers were 12 stitches, 16 stitches and 16 stitches, using 3 stitches picked up from the finger beside them each time.

For the thumb, I picked up 12 stitches from the cast-on stitches and immediately decreased from 22 to 18, at a rate of two decreases every other row. The thumb was finished in the same way as described in the pattern.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look lovely and warm. Posting as errata works well as a supplement to the original. You should consider emailing the link to the original designer.
-D

Kearsley said...

I posted as errata largely because, at heart, I'm still following the pattern. I merely have a list of changes.

I'll collect the changes into a digest once I'm done making the gloves, and then I'll consider what to do with the changed pattern as a whole.