Joy of Cables Hat -- extension

I've worn the Joy of Cables Hat for a few days now, and am finding that my fear of running out of yarn made for a hat that was a little too shallow. It just covers my ears and does so loosely.

Fortunately, I have plenty of yarn in other colours, so I'm going to extend the hat by 5cm or so. The edge is a simple k2p2 rib, so what I'll do is pick up stitches, purl one row to give the hat a line where it'll fold easily, then knit a brim in the same rib.

Because I'm trying to tighten the hat a bit as well, I'll keep the rib the same. Were it already a snug fit, I'd increase on rows 4 and 8, in the purl part of the ribbing.

The hat was knit on 5mm needles, so I'll pick up with much smaller needles. The closest smallercircular needles at hand were 3.5mm, so I'm using those. Picking up stitches is a simple enough prospect: there's a hole just right of each stitch, so I insert a needle under both threads of the cast on, insert the point of my circular needle and knit a stitch. Then I repeat that 120 times, one per stitch.

After that, I'll knit from the 3.5mm needles onto 6mm ones, as that was the size used for the hat.

0 comments: